Several of Guy Fieri's backyard barbecue recipes are featured in the July 2009 issue of Family Circle magazine, now posted on Parents.com. And what are the recommendations for a backyard meal? Several recipes from Guy's Big Bite and two new ones.
Guy Fieri with sons Ryder (3) and Hunter (12)
Jimmy's Favorite Garlic Bread - recipe
- a sourdough loaf baked with Italian-seasoned garlic butter and topped with a tomato basil salsa, roasted garlic, sun-dried tomatoes and Parmesan cheese.
This recipe first aired on the second episode in the first season of Guy's Big Bite, called Kickin' Cajun Alfredo. Other recipes from that episode are Cajun Chicken Alfredo and Caesar Salad.
New! Asian Street Sandwiches - recipe
- sliced grilled pork roast topped with Asian mint-marinated cucumbers, lettuce, cilantro and mayonnaise blended with oyster and chili garlic sauces.
The pork is marinated with the same flavors found in the rest of the sandwich plus garlic and ginger. Guy first tried a similar sandwich on the road and developed his own version of it.
(more from this episode)
Gaucho Steak with 4-Herb Chimichurri - recipe
- a grilled skirt steak, marinated in tequila, lemon and lime juice, garlic and cilantro, topped with a chimichurri sauce of vinegar and oil, onion, peppers, chiles, herbs and spices.
You just don't get more classic Fieri than those flavors. This recipe was part of Guy's Big Bite's fourth season, an episode called South of the Border. Other recipes included Spinach and Chick Pea Sauté (recipe) and the Tequila Lime Tart pictured above.
Chili Rice - recipe
- a spiced rice dish flavored with onions, peppers, garlic and chilis, bolstered with tomatoes, ground beef or turkey and kidney beans.
Perhaps my all-time favorite episode of Guy's Big Bite, this recipe is from Shotgun Bird in the third season. The show also featured Big Bud's Beer Can Chicken, Guid-Olives and a favorite drink from the college days, Shoot the Root.
New! Bayou BBQ Chop Salad - recipe
- Barbecue saucy chicken on a salad of lettuce, cucumber, tomato and mushrooms with a balsamic vinaigrette dressing and topped with fried onions, cheese and pepperoncini.
The chicken is grilled or broiled, then chopped into pieces and combined with bbq sauce. The recipe describes how to make your own fried onions, similar to the ones Guy used to re-invent the classic green bean casserole, The Mean Green, from Dear Food Network, Thanksgiving Disasters.
Tequila Lime Tart - recipe
- a classic lime pie filling (just add tequila!) on a vanilla wafer and pine nut crust.
Also from the South of the Border episode, this is an easy and tasty pie. I've replaced the pine nuts with macadamia nuts and added lime zest to the filling. Any way, it's a winner.
Preview the Family Circle article online: page 1 - page 2 - page 3 - page 4 - page 5 - page 6 - (cookies must be enabled. limited views)
A product of his parent's cooking?
Guy Fieri on campground cooking