Guy Fieri was on The View on Monday, May 30, 2011, to teach the co-hosts some of his favorite recipes for the grill - perfect for Memorial Day! Here they are:
2 ⁄3 pound ground beef (80% lean)
1⁄3 pound medium grind ground pork
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon freshly cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup pepperoni matchsticks
1⁄2 cup diced onion
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1⁄4 cup diced seeded tomatoes
Four 1- inch slices fresh mozzarella
1⁄4 ice cube cup
4 ciabatta rolls
1. In a medium bowl, gently combine the beef and the pork. Form the mixture into four 1- inch- thick patties, season them with salt and pepper, and refrigerate.
2. In a cast- iron skillet over medium- high heat, heat the olive oil. When it's shimmering, add the pepperoni. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until just crisp. Transfer to a paper-towel- lined plate.
3. Cook the onion in the same skillet for 5 to 6 minutes, until they just start to color. Add the garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Add the tomatoes and pepperoni and cook for 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer everything to a bowl, leaving the oil in the skillet.
4. With the heat still at medium- high, cook the burger patties for 5 minutes on one side and 3 on the other for medium- rare. Top each patty with one quarter of the pepperoni mixture and cover with a slice of mozzarella. Add the ice cube to the pan and cover tightly for 3 minutes to allow the cheese to melt and cover the patties.
5. Meanwhile, split and toast the rolls.
6. Place a burger on each roll and serve immediately.
Click here for ALL Guy Fieri recipes from The View's Memorial Day show.
Guy Fieri Road Show Photo Book, available for pre-order
"Guy Fieri Food" book signings in Indiana and St. Louis
7th most successful American chef, Guy Fieri