Tuesday, February 24, 2009

If you want more ...

I can't restart this fan site until I get an explanation from Guy for his behavior. To do so would be counter to everything that I believe in.

Friends and family are The Most Important thing that we all have. And he acted abominably to my friend. It's not that she's my very dearest friend, but I admire her and her work very much. The quantity of time she puts in to helping others is enough to put 99% of us to shame. I'm proud of making my United Way contributions, but this woman spends every day in service towards others, every day - with her time, talents, resources ... even financially.

She donated 10% of her annual income to the Food Network's pet charity. Have you? Has Guy? I know I haven't.

I just saw her briefly this past weekend, and asked if she'd heard anything more from Guy. "Of course not," she said. Of course not. And why would he! There are hundreds of thousands of Guy Fieri fans out there. All of his shows and cooking demo's are sold out. Lines wrap around the building at his book signings, and his guestbook on GuyFieri.com is full of "I love you" notes from fans.

So what if one lady is over-sensitive to his remarks. Who cares about one lady who got stomped on by this egocentric self-proclaimed Chef / Food Dude?



I care.



So I wrote to Mr. Brandt Hoekenga and asked him to take my Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives map OFF Fieri's website. He did so immediately, and he forwarded my complaint on to Fieri's management. Haven't heard a word back.

So I wrote to the Food Network's publicity department for some guidance and advice. Haven't heard a word back.

So I wrote to info@guyfieri.com. Haven't heard a word back.

So I wrote to Mr. Fieri's website (the aforementioned guestbook). My complaint never posted, presumably deleted by Guy's mother, who moderates all posts there. And no, haven't heard a word back.

The real punchline to the whole scenario is that Guy said to this very same friend, "You of all people should know I'm not that shallow." And here he is, proving that he is, in fact, that shallow - a charm in front of the cameras, in public. Not so charming at the back doors of restaurants in the dark alleys of Seattle.

Guy just got back from the South Beach Wine and Food Festival. He will be on a CNN spot tomorrow, February 25, and Guy's Big Night will air on the Food Network. And yes, Guy is going to be on the Tonight Show mid-March. He is also going to New York to tape Guy's Big Bite at the end of March. April will be busy with a food show in Atlanta, followed by the Rock n Roll Fantasy Camp. Iraq and Disneyland in May ....

There's much to tell, with video and pictures to go along with it. And there's a part of me that would love to take this little blogging hobby back up again. But to do so would be to disrespect one of the women, one of the people, I respect the most.

If Guy is all he wants us all to believe he is, then he's got to man-up, clear this up, fix it up and do it right. If you want him to live up to what he says he is, then you can comment in his guestbook too. Not that it'll do any good, but at least you'll know you tried.

I know I did, and I got no results. Hence, I am done being ... a Fan of Guy Fieri

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch!

So, do you think he's changed? Cuz he comes across as a really great guy. Do you think your friend just caught him on a bad day? or ?

I mean, we're all human, right? and allowed to have our bad days?

Anonymous said...

Thats nuts. Guy is a raider fan and you know how raider fans can be sometimes. I myself can be a little rude to my pizza customers from time to time, bue to me being so busy making 150 a night.

Anonymous said...

Watched his "Big Night" recently and what a disappointment. Love DD&D's, but this showed him in a very different light: kicking food across the stage; insulting his help ("I didn't pick this out" in reference to a wire basket prop); making a mess of himself when putting together the ill-chosen fried chicken dish; wiping his face with his hands and not washing up; hosting a shrimp eating contest, warning participants to keep their bucket nearby ("might need that after this"); trying to upstage the bartender and throwing ice towards the audience; pitting two sides of the audience against each other; and finally having no reasonable conclusion but to pass a platter of shrimp into the audience with no plates, napkins, etc.

Shame on the Food Network for allowing such a vilgar display.

Dora said...

Anon 2:29, yes I do think he's changed. Seems like something negative has happened - sometime in the past 6 months to a year. By all accounts he was well-respected and well-loved by all who knew him *before*.

Mr. Red, if you're saying that being rude is part of Guy's personality, then I think you've just made my point. Love his food, even love his shows. Don't love the man.

Anon 3:46, I'm in total agreement - and so are a few other people who've reviewed Guy's Big Night with poor scores.

From http://blog.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish/2009/02/26/food-finance-a-rule-to-live-by/#comments

"I watched Guy last night on Guy’s Big Night, I enjoy him very much, but on that show he acted like someone else. Was not impressed, get back to yourself guy. thank you"

"I kind of agreed with you. What was it? Was he trying too hard to be funny? Anyway, his chicken loooked good!"

"I found both of his specials (and to a certain degree Off the Hook as well) to be just … too … frenetic, to the point of feeling uncomfortable and edgy sitting in my own sofa. At the end of the show, I ask myself, “did he just cook something? and if he did, what was it again?”"

Lisa said...

Wow. I'm sorry to hear your friend was treated so poorly. From your description of her, she sounds like a cool gal.

I had to admit to not being a fan. But I hate to read bad things that happen to fans. I know it would hurt if my favorite FN personality would be nasty and rude to me.

Happy cooking :)

Anonymous said...

By no means is this an attempt to justify any rude or disrespectful behavior on Guy's behalf, but I will say that I've worked with him on a couple projects over the past several years, and my experience has always been that he is one of the most genuine and kind-hearted people I've met / worked with. As his "celebrity star" continues to rise, Guy is pulled in every direction as fans, friends, companies, haters, etc. demand his attention. Yet, I have never seen him refuse a photo opp. or autograph for a fan, and he doesn't take for granted the great opportunities that he's been given. He works his ass off at the expense of his wife and kids, yet they remain his #1 priority, and I really respect him for that.

Dora, I've enjoyed your blog since you first launched, and I hope that this issue can be resolved soon so fellow fans of Guy Fieri can continue to follow his successes.

Much thanks.

Anonymous said...

this is a bit off topic, but in quick reply to the last comment - aren't there tons of husbands and fathers who work their asses off at the expense of family at home? I should think that quality is to be expected, and not a cause for respect beyond what millions of other parents do.

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous 3/5:
I absolutely agree with your comment and couldn't agree more. In fact, I'm married to one of those husbands / fathers who works very hard for his family. The difference here is that most fathers don't spend 75% of their career on the road, let alone surrounded by cameras, demanding fans, cruel comments and 15-hr. work days.

My only point is that Guy has made a name for himself in a very tough industry, and from the limited experience I've had in working with him, I really admire his work ethic and dedication to his family, friends and fans.